Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Top 28 Animated Disney Films (Part I: A rant & #28-21)

When I turned 25, I posted a blog entry about “Seven Things I Never Expected to be at 25”. This year it’s my Top 28 Animated Disney Films (since I was born), one for every year I’ve been alive! You can decide which post was more interesting. I did include Pixar animated films in this list, but you’ll be surprised where most of them end up.

Before we go on, I want to share my all time least favorite Disney movie: Brother Bear (2003) by a landslide! I know many will call one of the numerous animated films that center around the loss of a parent the worst one, but this one centers around the loss of a sibling and it absolutely makes me lose my ability to speak. I first saw this movie in college, and my friends couldn’t understand why I cried through the movie from start to finish until at the end I really lost it when the brothers saw their human brother again and said bye. (Good grief I’m breaking down writing this right now. I can’t even speak about this film without sobbing.) I didn’t get the privilege and joy of knowing my sister, Shelly, but the feeling of loss from her death is still profound. Beyond that, I am so close to my sister, LaRae, that I can’t fathom how awful it would be to lose her. It would be like losing a part of myself, and that is something I don’t know how you face. So, no Disney, I don’t care how funny the moose in the movie are, and I don’t care if it’s about some spiritual journey, it’s still a movie I will never see again and can’t speak of without crying. This movie single-handedly proves that Disney can make a bad movie.

Moving on to happier movies:

#28: The Princess and the Frog (2009) – Lottie is a hoot and a half, but she’s honestly about all I liked about this movie. I turned to LaRae’s friend at the end of it and said, “seriously? We’re crying over a lightning bug? Come on!” See right after I talk about being sweet and crying I somehow go on to prove I don’t have a heart…

#27: Treasure Planet (2002) – I swear this is kiddie Steampunk, and I liked it before I knew what Steampunk even was. The Goo Goo Dolls singing “I’m Still Here” created a new Disney song fave for me.

#26: Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) – I don’t recall much about this movie except it was different and I really liked it. I bought it a long time ago, but it was on VHS, and I only have a DVD player now. I need to find a way to see it again.

#25: The Brave Little Toaster (1987) – Anyone else remember this being the go-to movie that your elementary school showed? I swear we watched it numerous times.

#24: DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp (1990) – aWhoo-ooo! Loved the show and as a kid was ecstatic about the movie coming out! I’ve always thought that it would be fun, if not painful and highly unsanitary, to swim in a giant vault of money!

#23: Finding Nemo (2003) – This movie didn’t really do it for me, but it’s on the list and ranks up a bit because of the Nemo and Friends ride at EPCOT. It’s not that it’s my favorite ride, but my niece and nephew love it so much that it makes it a wonderful memory for me.

#22: Ratatouille (2007) – While rats in the kitchen gross me out, cooking and Disney combine for a neat movie.

#21: Monsters, Inc (2001) – Boo’s cuteness, Mike’s misfortune, and Sully’s level-headed good nature makes this a fun, but not Top 20, film.

This was, by far, my favorite list to compile. How’s it going so far? Did I knock your favorite down too far? Any guesses on my top animated film?

No comments:

Post a Comment